Believe it or not, one word can make quite a difference in a conversation, in a blog post, and yes, even in a life.
I participated in the “One Word” challenge for the first time in 2012. For the entire 12 months, God helped me to learn, grow and be shaped around the word “Dependence.”
Now that 2013 is upon us (Happy New Year, by the way!) it is time for a new challenge.
I’ve been praying for the last month or so for my new word… And today is the big reveal… READY?
Drum roll please…
(Insert sound of envelope being opened by shaky, excited hands…)
My word for 2013 is…
As it was with 2012, I am not sure what all the word “STAND” entails for my walk throughout 2013… But I trust God knows what He is doing– and I am SO EXCITED to see how this shakes down.
I have prayed over this word and done some initial research. Here’s some fun facts about my “word” for 2013:
- “Stand” is used over 438 different times in the NIV. (Granted, some of those examples are nouns and I am thinking that God is wanting me to focus on verb usage… but we shall see!)
- In modern-day language, “Stand” can also mean attitude, belief, position, rise, remain, rest, abide, Hmmm….)
- “Stand” is used 22 different ways in the original Greek and Hebrew translations of Scripture.
- Of those 22 original interpretations, 13 directly apply to what I currently interpret/expect as “Stand” meaning in my life.
- One Greek word for stand is “paristano,” which means to “become.” Another word, “eis” means to “move toward.”
- Other ancient translations can mean rise up, stand firm, be steadfast, come back to life, come to pass, establish, to be present, heal, restore, strengthen, come near, remain, assign, confirm, dwell, witness, hold each other up and comfort. (Very interesting!)
- Oh. And there are lots of great Jesus-y songs that include the word “Stand” in their lyrics. (On Christ the Solid Rock I stand… I stand amazed in His presence… etc)
Cool stuff, huh? I’m pumped to see how this year shapes up.
There are also a lot of great Scriptures that encompass the verb “stand.” In my prayer and research, I have found that many reference “standing firm in the faith” which encourages (and challenges!) my heart. So something new that I am hoping to do for 2013 is to memorize one verse per week that has the word “stand” in it. (Pray for me in this– I have a feeling with a new baby this could be challenging– but if God wants me to do it, He will make it happen!)
So. Stinkin. Excited.
Does this inspire you to ask the Lord if He has a word for you in 2013? Or perhaps you already have one? What is it? Leave a comment below and let’s get a conversation started! 🙂
I can’t say enough how living out the “One Word” challenge has literally changed my life. It gives me something to focus on daily, in all circumstances. It opens my eyes to see how God is moving. I totally believe that He gave me this word and He is going to move mightily and powerfully through it in the coming months.
Again, I am praying that in 2013 God continues to strengthen and encourage our hearts… So that we can ultimately STAND up for Him.
Standing for Him, in Him, because of Him,
“… If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.” ~Isaiah 7:9 NIV